GolfWA is the State Body for Amateur Golf in Western Australia providing opportunities for everyone to play, watch and learn the game of golf, at all levels.
What does GolfWA do?
GolfWA is responsible for the promotion and growth of the game across the state. We work collaboratively with Golf Australia to provide opportunities for everyone to play, watch and learn the game of golf at all levels, whilst promoting equitable and inclusive practices.
Our Purpose: To inspire more West Australians to participate in all formats of golf
Our Philosophy: All golf is golf, and all of us can be golfers
Our positioning: Golf is a sport for life and fun for all
Our goal: More participants and more club members playing more games of golf
GolfWA Strategic Plan
In support of Golf Australia’s National Strategy, GolfWA has four key pillars at the heart of all we do:
Grow our Core: Create a mindset of growth across the industry by working with WA golf clubs, providers and communities to deliver vibrant, solvent, sustainable community hubs.
Tell Our Story Better: Tell the holistic story of golf to new and existing audiences and stakeholders, encouraging WA to Go Play!
Sustainability: Champion innovative thinking to ensure sustainability and the long-term viability of Golf in WA.
Participation and Attraction of New Golfers: Attract new and retain existing golfers in all forms of golf across all age groups, genders, ethnic backgrounds and abilities.
Supporting golf across WA
GolfWA represents the interests of 331 clubs in Western Australia, whose 36,000+ members play more than 1,000,000 competitive rounds of golf per year.
In order to create sustainable pathways into the sport for as many people as possible, GolfWA delivers coaching and development programs throughout the state, including MyGolf in Schools – which introduces thousands of students to the game each year – and Get Into Golf clinics for adults.
We also dedicate considerable resources into helping golfers achieve their potential. Our High Performance Program helps elite amateurs prepare for careers in golf, and past graduates include women’s Major champions Minjee Lee and Hannah Green, and rising PGA Tour sensation Min Woo Lee.
GolfWA conducts 35+ separate tournaments for all ages, men and women, boys and girls, throughout the year – including All Abilities championships and the Mini Golf Championship of WA. We also run the successful Crunch&Sip Junior Tour, which provides a fun and friendly introduction to competitive golf for youngsters.
As well as our in-house staff at our Perth HQ, GolfWA employs three Regional Club Support Officers, dedicated to assisting our Country Clubs in all of the above areas as well as working with regional schools to grow the game.
Other areas of expertise
Government Liaison: GolfWA is uniquely placed to guide and advise State and Local Governments on the benefits golf can provide to communities and their residents. We have regular discussions with LGAs and key stakeholders throughout the year on a range of matters that may impact the development of our sport. For more information, contact GolfWA Chief Executive Gary Thomas on 9367 2490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Commentary: If your media outlet requires information on the state of golf in WA, or is looking to interview a rising star of the sport, we can assist. Contact our Marketing Officer, Neal Maidment, on 9367 2490 or email email@example.com
Partner with GolfWA
More than a sport, golf is about opportunities, values and community. If your business or organisation shares our vision, please consider partnering with GolfWA and becoming part of the game’s great legacy in our state.
Benefits to Clubs affiliated by GolfWA
There are considerable benefits to clubs, and thus to their members, of affiliating with GolfWA as a result of the services the body provides including
- Having an official Australian handicap which enables a player to play at any affiliated golf club in Australia (pending entry conditions) and events conducted by GolfWA
- Providing each playing member of a club with Personal Liability Insurance cover to $20m and Professional Indemnity Insurance up to $5m
- Golf Rules, Handicapping, Amateur Status and Competition advice from GolfWA
- Advice to clubs on funding opportunities that arise from government agencies such as DSR, Local Councils, Regional schemes
- Clubs have the ability to purchase stationery and other requirements from Officeworks due to a special on-line pricing structure arranged with GolfWA
- Provision of Rules Accreditation Courses
- Course Rating Services
- Conduct of a range of game development programs throughout the state, both at public and private golfing facilities, and in schools, with the ultimate aim of driving new members to affiliated clubs, including:
- MYGolf in schools
- Clinics for junior girls
- Beginner clinics for women
- Community Coaching Courses
- The Club has a “voice” through attendance at Delegates Meetings